My love for commencement speeches brought me to this insightful speech by a highly decorated Navy Admiral. I jotted down the nuggets that spoke to me and I hope they will have the same effect to you as well.
1. Make your bed in the morning when you wake up to perfection.
You will accomplish the first task of the day
It will give you a small sense of pride
It will encourage you to do another task and another and another
By the end of the day that one task completed will turn to many tasks completed
Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter.
If you can’t do the little things right, you will never be able to do the big things right
And if by chance you have a miserable day you will come home to a bed that is made – and a made bed gives you encouragement that tomorrow will be better
So if you want to change the world, start of by making your bed.
2. You can’t change the world alone, you will need some help. And to truly gain from your starting point to your destination takes friends, colleagues, the goodwill of strangers and a strong leader for guidance.
Nothing matters but your will to succeed. If you want to change the world, measure a person by the size of their heart, not by their race, religion, size, education or social status.
3. Sometimes no matter how well you prepare or how well you perform you still end up not succeeding.
Life for you will never be perfect, buy you have to get over it and move forward.
Trouble builds inners strength and physical resilience, life is filled with troubles, you will fail, you will likely fail often, it will be painful, it will be discouraging at times.
It will test you to your very core, but if you want to change the world, don’t be afraid of the troubles.
4. If you change the world, sometimes you have to slide down the obstacles head first.
If obstacles come your way, stand your ground, do not walk away, do not act afraid, summon up all your strength and overcome the obstacles and they will vanish.
There are a lot of obstacles in the world, if you hope to succeed, you will have to face them, so if you want to change the world, don’t back down or give in.
5. To be successful in your objectives, it’s important to know that at the darkest moment in life, it is the time you need to be calm & composed.
This is when all your tactical skills, physical power and your inner strength must be brought to bare.
If you want to change the world, you must be your very best in the darkest moments.
If I have learnt anything during my time traveling the world it is the power of hope, the power of one person, Mandela, MLK , Malala, Wangari Maathai……………………
One person can change the world by giving people hope, so if you want to change the world, start singing when you are deep in trouble.
I wish nothing you nothing less of a dramatically positive life changing 2019!